117 Cabot St, Beverly, MA 01915
Health & Safety
The Cabots were merchants and mariners who came to Massachusetts in the 17th century, settling first in Salem.
John Cabot (1744-1821), son of Joseph and Elizabeth Cabot, was born in Salem, part of large family of 11 children. His father and grandfather were successful merchants. John attended Harvard College, graduating in 1763. Following his father’s death, John’s mother moved to Beverly with her children in 1768. (One son stayed in Salem in the family home.) In the 1770s, she built a house at the corner of Cabot and Central Streets where the candy shop parking lot is today. During the Revolution, John Cabot and his brothers owned shares in many privateer vessels and they made a great deal of money. The house was built in 1781. The parlor was a formal room, used to entertain guests. John Cabot was married twice. First to Mary Cox and they had one son Samuel; After Mary’s death John married Hannah Dodge. They had seven children – only three survived childhood Fanny, John and Lucy.
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
Lynch Park Beach
Montserrat College of Art
Greater Beverly Chamber of Commerce
Misselwood at Endicott College
The Cabot Theatre
Gentile Brewing Company
Beverly Main Streets
North Shore Music Theatre
Beverly’s Hospital Point Light Station (1872)