4 High Road, Newbury, MA 01951
In 1911, Swett-Ilsley House became the first property acquired by Historic New England, just a year after its founding. The original portion, built in 1670 by Stephen Swett, was one room deep, and later additions more than doubled the size of the house. Over the centuries, the building served as a tavern, chocolate shop, chandlery, and press room, in part due to its location on Newbury’s most traveled road.
For the most up-to-date health and safety information, please visit the individual business' website directly.