Fort Sewall (1742)

The End of Front Street, Marblehead, MA 01945

Fort Sewall, formerly an armed fort owned by the United States and used to defend against British invaders, is now a peaceful park offering some of the best views of Marblehead Harbor. Originally known as Gale’s Head, it was later renamed Fort Sewall in honor of Marblehead native and Massachusetts Supreme Court Justice Samuel Sewall. The Fort’s greatest moment in history was on Sunday, April 3, 1814 when the U.S. Navy’s Constitution, being chased by two British frigates, escaped into Marblehead Harbor under the protection of the fort’s guns. The “Fort.” which was deeded to the Town by the Federal Government in 1922, still contains bunkers and underground rooms once used to detain prisoners. It is located at the very end of Front Street and has restroom facilities.

Nearby