448 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915
Health & Safety
John Balch gained title to the land on November 11, 1635, through the “Thousand Acre Grant” and was living on this property by 1636.
The house remained within the Balch family until 1916, though with periods of tenant rental. It was then acquired by the Balch Family Association. They hired Norman Isham, a popular preservation architect, to evaluate the house. After finding original rafters in the attic, he recommended that the back lean-to be ripped off and the southern half of the house be dismantled. This plan was eventually modified to expose and recreate the roofline of the original story and a half structure. Thus today’s house has been heavily shaped by intentional restoration. In 1932, the home was turned over to the Beverly Historical Society, which maintains and operates it today.
Beverly’s Hospital Point Light Station (1872)
The Cabot Theatre
Greater Beverly Chamber of Commerce
Misselwood Events at Endicott College
North Shore Music Theatre
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Cabot Lodge
Lynch Park Beach